I have decided to write out my birth experience with Little Cubby in honor of his birthday which is tomorrow. I will write a 12 month update on him tomorrow.
Last year at this time it was a Sunday afternoon, the day before Little Cubby was born.
The Friday before I had a doctor’s appointment and I was 1cm dilated. My due date was September 13th and my doctor told me to make an appointment for that day and she would check if any progress had happen then.
So I go home a little disappointed because I really did not want to go over my due date I was ready to have this baby.
So that Sunday I woke with some cramping and feeling not myself. I did not think anything of it I just thought I was having some Braxton Hicks contractions which I had been having on and off for awhile.
We decided to take Big Cubby to the park to play and while Cub Daddy and Big Cubby were playing I decided to try to get my labor going by walking. I walked this track that was around two baseball fields about three times. I would get a little winded and would have to stop. We headed home and started to wait.
Latter that evening I lost what was my mucous plug. I did not know for sure that was what it was because I did not lose it with Big Cubby. I had to be induced with him.
We go to bed that evening and I was praying I would go into labor before Cub Daddy had to go to work Monday morning. Around two in the morning I was awakened with contractions. I sat up to start timing them to see if they were every 10 minutes, 1 minute part for 1 hour. I did this for about 30 minutes and noticed there were following a pattern so I woke up Cub Daddy to help me time them. We did this for about an hour then called the hospital. They told us to come on in.
So, I showered, ate something and got all my stuff together. We then woke up Big Cubby told him we were going to have his little brother. He did not care too much for that he was more impressed that it was still dark out and he could see the stars. This is about 5am.
We get to the hospital which is a mile away and park. We walk up to the emergency room and I have to stop like five times because of contractions. Cub Daddy had insisted on dropping me off at the door but I refused saying the walk would help the contractions along. I get close to the door and two nurses are outside and ask if I would like a wheelchair. I get in the wheelchair and we head up to the maternity ward.
They have my room ready so I get undressed and get examined. I am now 2cm dilated. They say I can have my epidural if I want it. Oh yeah did I want it.
After I got the epidural it was all about the waiting. We did not have a place for Big Cubby to go so he was in the room with us. Cub Daddy would take him out when they would do certain things.
My epidural only worked on one side of my body so basically I felt every contraction. I had a great nurse who helped me breathe through them. When I had Big Cubby I was scared to death and my birth experience was horrible. This time around I was in a different hospital and the staff was great.
Around 11:00am they broke my water bag because I was getting close to fully dilated and this would have speed up the process. Finally at noon I was ready to push. Cub Daddy had taken Big Cubby to the waiting room while I delivered Little Cubby. My doctor was delivering twins so I ended up with a room full of people though. I had two resident doctors, the attending doctor, the nurse and three medical students on there first day in the hospital. They were all female except the attending. It was a big party. I really did not mind they were like my cheering squad.
I was a woman on a mission. I did not scream or yell I just pushed with all my might. It took 20 minutes and Little Cubby was born. I had little superficial tear and that was it. Everybody said that was the best delivery they have had. I was an inspiration. I have to tell it was the easiest thing I have every done. I felt great. I actually delivered on my due date.
I had them go get Cub Daddy and Big Cubby and they were introduced to Little Cubby. I got to eat lunch and then later that afternoon Cub Daddy took Big Cubby home. The night was very long and the next morning I asked to be discharged. I did not want to stay another night. I knew I would have more help at home. So that afternoon I was discharged and we took Little Cubby home.
1 comment:
Aw, what a great story. I'm so glad your birth experience with Little Cubby was better than your first birth. I'm sorry Cub Daddy couldn't be there for the pushing, but it seems like you had a lot of support anyway.
Happy Birthday, Little Cubby!
Post a Comment