Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Big Cubby Meltdown

Today I took the boys to run a few errands. We went to Target first and when we were finished shopping I bought Big Cubby a Thomas the Tank Engine Train.

We head to the grocery store. When we get there Big Cubby starts getting upset and saying he doesn't want to go in. I tell him if he wants his train then he has to behave at the store.

I get him up to the door where they have the shopping carts for kids that are shaped like a car. I put Little Cubby in the seat and I place Big Cubby next to him.

Big Cubby starts throwing a fit saying he doesn't want to go in. He stands up in his seat and is screaming in my face then he hit me. I said fine we are going home and you do not get the train. I lift him and hold him while he is trying to get out of my arms. I proceed to try to lift Little Cubby out of the cart and am having trouble.

A grocery store employee comes over and offers to help me lift Little Cubby out of the cart and into my arms. Meanwhile Big Cubby is crying and yelling and hitting me in the back of the neck.

I get them back to the car and into their seats. Big Cubby is screaming and I mean screaming high pitch that he wants his train. I tell him no and we leave the parking lot.

I call my husband while driving home(I use a hands free device)and start crying while telling him about the episode. He calms me down and I get home.

Big Cubby has been telling me sorry all afternoon and asking for his train I tell him no that his behavior was bad and that he has to earn the train. Then he tells me he is angry at me and I am a bad mommy.

I have to tell you I have never and I mean never been more embarrassed in my life. He has never acted this way when we have gone out. Actually he has never acted this way ever. I could not believe it. It took all my energy to remain calm.

Now we are waiting until Cub Daddy gets home and have a talk with Big Cubby.

Has anybody experienced this type of situation? How did you feel?

3 comments:

eatmisery said...

I wish I could help you. I've never been through that, but it's what I dread. I hope the talk works.

Erin said...

My Princess is 3 and we have had many meltdowns lately. When I know one is coming on (usually when she is arguing about doing/not doing something) I tell her to listen to my words or I am taking her stuffed animals. (She has been IN LOVE with 2 stuffed animals since 3 months of age, they go EVERYWHERE with us, including all the way out to California!) Anyway, that usually seems to help fend off whatever 'attack-of-the-monster-child' is about to take place, and if it doesn't she loses the animals until I think she deserves them back.

Good luck!

cubmommy said...

Amy, I hope the talk works also but I am not risking it and waiting until tomorrow to go to the store. Hubby is taking the day off so I can go by myself.

Erin, Thanks for the advice. I have not given him the train he really wants yet. He asked for it this morning but I told him he still has to earn it.