Thursday, August 23, 2007

Kindergarten Orientation

Today was Big Cubby's Kindergarten orientation at his new school. It was from 8:30am to 9:15am. Let me tell you it went bad for us.

We get there and everyone had brought their school supplies. I did not know we were suppose to bring them. It did not say on the paper they sent to bring them. So right off the bat I feel like an idiot. So I ask about it and the teacher says no problem just bring it on the first day of class.

I take Big Cubby around the room and show him all the different stations and where the restroom is. The teacher then announces that the parent please go to the music room for a PTA introduction and the the kids were to sit on the rug for a story.

I tell BC sit here on the rug and mommy will be back after your story. He freaks out. I starts crying and hugging my waste. He doesn't want me to leave. I almost start crying but keep it in check while trying to tell BC everything was ok that I was going to be in the other room and be right back. Finally a teacher came up and helped me get out of BC grip so I could leave.

I had never expected that reaction from him. He has gone to preschool and he was fine there. Not once did he get upset about going there.

After story time the teacher brought the kids to the room where we were at and BC was so upset at me for quote "leaving me alone". He told me he doesn't want to go to school. He doesn't like it.

They received a paper that said the class listen to this story and on it was two heart stickers. The note said on the first day of school I should put one sticker on my hand and the other on his hand. Well, we get to the van and BC starts crying because he all ready lost his stickers. So we go back to the classroom and ask the teacher for another one.

The teacher tells me that BC did not want to participate during story time and he sat at a table by himself instead with the other kids on the rug. My heart dropped.

As a parent I feel this reflects on me and how I am raising him. I know I am making a bigger deal then it should be and he will probably be ok at school after the first week but still part of me is horrified.

The teacher is young and bubbly and super nice. So today and will continue this weekend talking up school and the teacher. Telling him how fun it is going to be.

School starts Monday and I am really nervous about it. Hubby is taking the morning off and I think all of us will take BC to school. I am going to need Hubby's support that day for BC and myself.

So now you will have to excuse me while I go have a nice beer(just one I am nursing) and go cry in the corner(just joking).

6 comments:

Jenster said...

You may be right about making a bigger deal out of it than it really is, but that's your baby! The worst thing in a world for a parent is to see their child upset or miserable.

This does NOT reflect badly on you as a parent. All kids are different. He probably will end up loving kindergarten, but it may take a little while to get there.

In the meantime, cry and drink your beer.

Ryan said...

Beer is actually good for nursing, helps with milk production :)

I am sure that big cubby is still dealing with his feelings about the new baby in the house and that is why he was so clingly. It has nothing to do with your parenting. He will work through this and will probably end up loving school. Don't worry :)

eatmisery said...

He's scared. Nothing can compare to the fun he has with you. And he just got a new baby sister he adores. Of course, he doesn't want to leave home! He will learn to like going to school, but he's got to try to find out.

Hang in there! It's going to be okay.

Sugarmama said...

Yeah, I've heard that Guinness has iron in it even...

I'm sure that Big Cubby isn't the only terrified kid in the class. And I'm equally sure that he'll adore school before very long because he'll make some good buddies there. Furthermore, you sound like a great mom and aren't doing a damn thing to make him somehow less prepared than other kids for kindergarden. Preschool or not, big kid school is a huge change for everyone! He'll be fine.

March2theSea said...

My youngest starts on 9/4 and we are a little worried as well. Some kids just take a little to "warm up" to the idea I guess. My son is pretty quiet and will "ease in" to the class for sure. Once BC sees how cool school can be, and meets some buddies , you won't even get a kiss anymore when they get on the bus or dropped off.

You are not a bad parent.

TTQ said...

It's going to be ok, It's going to be ok. Enjoy the experience you will look fondly on these days remebering how much he loves you. Especially when he turns into a teen..when parents are sooooo uncool.