Tuesday, September 12, 2006

If it has a beat we will dance to it

Big Cubby is doing much better at preschool. He looks forward to going.

Here is a quick preschool story.

This past Monday they started a music time which will happen every Monday. Well, a music teacher came in and played and sang for the kids. Later that evening, Hubby asked Big Cubby about his day at school and he tells him that they had music and when it started it made him want to dance so he got up and started dancing. Hubby asked him did the other kids dance also and Big Cubby said no and the teacher told him to sit down.

Big Cubby did not tell me this story when I asked him earlier in the day. Hubby told him that it was all right to dance at home but at school if you are told to sit and listen then he needs to do that.

I felt sad that he was told to sit down because both my boys love music and love to dance, bang around on makeshift instruments and sing. That is what kids at this age do before the age when it will be not cool to do that. I know there is a time and place for it but this is preschool and aren't they suppose to let the kids get creative.

I know I can't sit still when I hear music even in the grocery store I will sing softely and do a little wiggle down the aisles when I hear it playing. They got that from me.

4 comments:

Sugarmama said...

Seriously? They told the kids not to dance when a live person was right there in front of them playing music? That's whack!

BlondeBrony said...

Why play the music then? How odd.

I agree with you, you hear a beat you dance.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oh man, that totally bums me out that the teacher told him to sit.

Not fair! I'm with sugarmama in saying That's Whack!

Anonymous said...

I'm on your team, girl. I mean, I understand the need for *some* order when you've got a room full of kids to mind, but please....if there's music, they're going to dance, and they SHOULD.

Would you feel comfortable talking to the teacher about it?