Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Doors close for the very last time

Yesterday Berghoff restaurant closed its doors for the very last time. Here is a news story on it. This restaurant has been in Chicago over 100 years owned by the same family. This is a sad day for Chicago.

This place has a special place in our hearts. We ate there on our honeymoon. Here is the story.

When Hubby and I got married my father was supposed to pay for our honeymoon. He had offered so we decided to head to New Orleans after the ceremony. Well, our wedding had too much drama. My father did not like he was sitting(my parents our divorced) and he felt like he was treated badly so he stormed out of the rehearsal. I did not think he was going to show up the next day for the wedding.

Wedding day he did show up and he was distant. I was wrapped up in everything else to really worry about what was going on with him. So after the wedding we had a small reception with cake and punch. (We were poor and Hubby and I paid a lot of it ourselves. so it was small).

After we did the cake cutting, garter and bouquet toss we mingled awhile . My dad comes to me and tells me he is leaving. It was been about 30 minutes into the reception. So he leaves with my stepmom. When it is time to leave for us we go down and change because we were driving down to New Orleans from there.

Quick story: We were just going to drive down there with no hotel reservations, no idea of how to get down there nothing. We were young. Also my dad did not like the choice of the honeymoon.

As I am getting changed, my mom has all the cards and is going through them to find my dad's. When he left he did not give us the money for our honeymoon yet so I assumed he put it in a card. There was no card. There was no money for the honeymoon. Panic set in. So we decided to take open up all the cards and take what all the cash on hand and we headed up to Chicago.

So one day on our honeymoon we were walking around and we were looking for a place to eat dinner. It was cold and snow on the ground we did not want to go far so we stopped by newspaper vendor and asked him to recommend a restaurant. He said the only place to go is Berghoff so we went. It was beautiful, the food was great, and it was reasonable price.
We had a great time there.

Now it has closed it's doors for good. Hubby and I will always have a great memory shared there. What a great loss for Chicago.

5 comments:

Piece of Work said...

I agree with mommygoth. What the hell is wrong with people!

I'm glad you have a great memory of dinner there, though. It's really sad when institutions like that close.

Melzie said...

Well, dispite of the circumstances that brought you to there- at least it's a wonderful memory!! :)

cubmommy said...

Thanks for the support guys!

A long story short, my Dad never did say sorry or give us money. Our relationship was strained. He got sick and we started to rebuild our relationship but he passed away before anything was ever better.

I am over it now but it was just typical of both my parents to think about themselves on that day then their own daughter.

eatmisery said...

It's wonderful that you have such fond memories of that place. Did your Dad ever wind up paying for your honeymoon, out of curiousity?

CozyMama said...

what a great memory even though it started out not so good. I hope you can find a new place to love.