Thursday, July 07, 2005

Anger Issues

When Big Cubby was 2 he would get angry about things and we would deal with it thinking it was just a stage he was going through. Then he turned 3 he still had anger problems. Little Cubby was born right after Big Cubby's birthday so I thought it was just the new baby. Now Big Cubby will turn 4 next month and he still has anger problems only now they seem to have escalated. If he gets upset about something his whole body tenses up his fist clinch and he will yell or scream. He will hit, pinch and throw things. We have tried everything with him. Now I calmly put him in his room and tell him he needs to calm down before he comes out.

So with that in mind yesterday was a horrible day. Big Cubby was in his anger mood all day. He would get into everything he wasn't supposed to. Little Cubby was very needy so that pissed off Big Cubby because he wanted my attention. So my day ended in calling my husband at work in tears and questioning my mothering skills. I felt like a failure as a mother. I hate to admit it but for one minute yesterday I wished I wasn't a mother. Don't get me wr0ng, I love my children very much and would die for them. But that moment I broke down.

I don't know how to handle Big Cubby. He is a great kid and he is smart and funny. Has anyone had this problem and is it just a phase or is there really something wrong?

1 comment:

Piece of Work said...

Crystal, sorry you are having such a hard time. Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you except hang in there. Hopefully someone else will know more what to do. I am also a big fan of family counseling, provided you find a good therapist. Sometimes I think we just need a little coaching to know how to handle things the best way. And--you are a great mother, I can tell just from your posts!