Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Count your blessings

For the past two nights, Hubby and I have watched the documentary When the Levee Broke by Spike Lee on HBO. I don’t know if I can express the feelings I had watching this.

I was sad, angry, pissed, heartbroken, in disbelief, and so on. Our government failed this people. Our President failed this people. It scares me to think for those of us who work paycheck to paycheck or barely make enough to support our families can be written off so easily and forgotten. It was been a year since Hurricane Katrina hit and very little progress has been made to get the people back home to New Orleans, Mississippi. This country can help other countries but when it comes time to help our own people they drop the ball. Why is that?

They are still finding bodies in homes there. The levees are still being worked on. Houses and debris are still in the state the hurricane left them. People want to go home but can’t.

I almost cried a couple of times and then last night I lost it. They interviewed a woman whose daughter drowned during the hurricane. She was only 5 years old. The little girl was staying with her father and his girlfriend and children and they did not evacuate. They found the body of the little girl 6 months later. They showed the funeral for the little girl and the mother just breaking down during it sobbing. I just lost it. I have a soon to be 5 year old. I can’t imagine losing him like that. The mother said she had a dream before she found out her daughter was missing. She dreamed her daughter was calling her and saying Mama, I am falling and there was water. She woke up in cold sweat and later found out her daughter drowned. The sadness, the guilt this mother must have felt even though it wasn’t her fault. This story hit close to home for me.

Everyday we should count our blessings. We should hug our children. We should be thankful for what we have because you never know when you might run into a situation like this.

I strongly recommend watching this documentary. It will be showing again a couple more times on HBO. Here is the link to the dates and times. If you don’t have HBO, I am sure it will be on DVD very soon. The first anniversary for this disaster is on Tuesday, August 29th.

Before anyone goes off on some of the bad seeds out there taking advantage of the system let say this point for every one bad seed out there, there are 10 good ones.

I am afraid for our country because I don’t think our government really gives a shit about us until election time. I am not a real political person. I am not really liberal and I am not really conservative. So don’t think I am on a high horse or anything I am just a concerned citizen.

2 comments:

eatmisery said...

You're right about election time. That's when the politicians can blow smoke up the public's asses to get their votes. Then they can go back to ignoring us all over again.

Piece of Work said...

INcredibly sad and frustrating. There are not even words.