We have made the decision to hold Big Cubby another year before we send him to kindergarten. He is within days of the cut off for kindergarten that we feel he is not ready for it.
We did not want to start his school career off on a bad note and then him hating school the rest of his life. He has a few things to work on just yet.
We are looking for a preschool in the area to send him to in the fall. I want him to be prepared.
We feel good about the decision. We are afraid that teachers will mistake Big Cubby not wanting to sit still with ADHD. I know he doesn't have it and that he is a typical kid. He really hasn't had to sit and pay attention to something other than tv and he can if it is one of his favorite shows.
When did pressure on kindergarteners become so intense? It is like they have to know all this stuff just before they start. Like we have to do the job of the teachers in them knowing writing and phonics. Hello I though phonics was learned in 1st grade. Boy, times have changed and there is such pressure on kids and parents that it is crazy. It makes me sick to my stomach with stress.
I want my son to grow up and not feel pressure to please us. I just want him to enjoy his life.
So the journey begins with finding an affordable preschool that we can get into since we are really late for registration. I have bought a preschool workbook and Hubby will be sitting down with Big Cubby this summer and working with him on it.
I think my stomach will settle once we find a preschool for him.
I want to thank everybody for their encouraging comments. They made me feel really good and not alone. I still will be sad when my baby goes to school but now I know he will be ready to go the next time around.
8 comments:
You'll always make the best decisions for your kids until they can make them on your own. You're doing a great job, Cubmommy!
Our public community school offers free Pre-K 3 (1/2 day) and Pre-K 4 (full day) programs prior to entering Kindergarten. A number of parents take advantage of the Pre-K 3 simply to have young kids get used to the school environment and for parents to get used to letting go of their little ones.
It works beautifully. The two programs together make the transition to Kindergarten very smooth for both the parents and kiddos.
good for you!!! I hope it all works out. Pre-school is great. Both of my boys have gone, well really the Wee One is there now!!! He is 2 1/2 and can sing his ABC's...I am amazed.
Ok, First, you have to best outlook EVER! Just wanting him to enjoy his life. After all he's just 5.
It is probably a good thing you are doing. I have a friend who started her son early because of the birthday thing. He is now in8 grade and still has some issues. He's good kid and smart, just being the youngest for a boy is hard.
Don't freak out, your little guy is just fine. I'm in the school a lot and you would be surprised to see how much kids DON'T know going in.
Relax and let him be a kid, he'll do fine!
I know you made the best decision for him. He's a beautiful little guy and I'm sure he won't mind being around mommy another year! :)
That's okay, he will be fine. You are caring parents! My friend did that with BOTH of his kids and they are lil' genius'! Also, look into Montessori because they have started doing charter programs in some areas and the cost can be FREE, yes that's right, sista! Check into it.
You are doing the right things... and remember he will get things at his own pace. Our son started school too early (back when they went to public school) and was in trouble 3 of the 5 days of school... mostly because he couldn't remember to cross his legs, or stupid things like that.
Life is too short--and he'll get it when he's ready! :)
I think you're smart to do that. I started a little too early and I never really did get acclimated right. I didn't start feeling comfortable at school until oh, say, college!
Post a Comment