Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cicada invasion

Hubby took this photo
On Sunday morning we went for a walk with the boys to get outside for awhile when we came across in our neighborhood the cicada invasion.

Apparently they decided to emerge that morning. I am talking hundreds if not thousand of these things.

At first, they were pretty cool to watch. They were shedding their exoskeletons. When you looked up in the trees they were hanging their and then dropping to the ground. It was straight out of a Sci Fi movie. I have watched too many of those Sci Fi movies and Hubby and I talked about how it starts off innocent then ends with people running and screaming.

Big Cubby was ok at first. Seeing one or two was cool. He did not mind holding the exoskeletons. Then when we kept seeing more and more on the trees and then smashed all over the sidewalk, he started to freak out. He did not want to walk on them and when they would fly around he would scream.

Little Cubby doesn’t mind them in fact he likes stepping on them.

Let me tell you they are not the best flyers and Hubby and I were hit by them a couple of times.

As we were walking one of the cicadas falls down Hubby’s shirt. He gets it out and I ask him well are their any on me. I turn around and he says uh yeah actually there is one in your hair. So I am trying not to freak out and scream down the street smacking my hair because I am trying to comfort Big Cubby that they are harmless and there was nothing to be scared of. I remained calm as Hubby got it out of my hair but on the inside I was screaming. Let’s just say when I got home I took a shower and still felt them crawling on me through out the day.

Let me tell you if one had gotten down my shirt people would have seen a half naked pregnant woman running down the street. That shirt would have been off.

They are everywhere right now and are very loud. It is like a bad Sci Fi movie.

I do have to say that I am glad the boys have got to experience this phenomenon because it is not going to happen again until 2024.

Here are some links to other photos that Hubby took on our walk of the cicadas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ten-nine/519875320/
He took a lot more but hasn't posted them yet.

3 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hey! No baby yet?! We went to my inlaws this weekend and there were a ton there. If you do think about them, it is gross. We watched one in particular who just came out of the ground for two hours, keeping him on the table. We wanted to watch it molt.

Tukey and I put one on our noses and the MIL took a photo. Disgusting!

cubmommy said...

No baby yet. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon. I have three and half weeks left. I am so ready.

Ms. Mamma said...

I am totally with Big Cubby! I'm freaking out just thinking about it and seeing those photos. I thought earwigs were bad, but damn! I couldn't deal with that! I'm goin got your flickr now... sort of like 'Faces of Death' wanting to see what disturbs me the most...