I am so ticked off right now I need to get it out.
This morning when I took Big Cubby to school it was wet out from last night's rain and it was drizzle this morning. There is a door to his classroom where kids come in from outside so they line up there when the bell rings.
We walk up and two boys from his class are smacking each other with backpacks. A mother steps in and tells them to put their backpacks down. Big Cubby goes up and gets in line. This woman tells him to put his backpack on the ground because I guess she believes he will use it as a weapon. He comes running back to me and I tell him to pick up his backpack because the ground is wet and the bell is going to ring.
He goes back to get it and this woman stops him and tells him I told you to put your backpack down. I hear Big Cubby say something like the ground is wet and he points to me. She tells him then he better put it on his back.
At this time I am ticked off at this woman. I call Big Cubby over and she looks up. I give her this look that she better not be messing with my kid. I tell Big Cubby to stand by me until the bell rings.
I did not say anything to her because there were children around but I wanted to give her a few choice words.
I understand that the boys before us were being dangerous. I would have said something to them as well and have on different occasions when play turned in to possible harming but Big Cubby did not do anything to warrant her saying something. She just decided to lord over all the kids. I have told kids to stop what they were doing and get in line because the bell was going to ring but only to the ones that were doing something dangerous not every kid in line.
Here is the kicker, her kid is not even in Big Cubby's class. Her kid is in the other Kindergarten class and goes in a different door.
It really ticked me off. I take care of my child. I make sure he gets into class. I discipline him when he is not behaving.
I fumed all the way home about it. I called my husband to tell him about it and just get it out.
I am wrong to feel this way? I understand if he was doing something dangerous and I didn't see it. This is not that case.
6 comments:
I wouldn't want my kid's backpack getting all wet if he wasn't misbehaving. Sounds like "supermom" was just having a power trip.
In general, I don't mind if another responsible adult steps in to correct the behaviour of my kids, but I'd prefer to get first option and I'd also prefer that my kid deserve the correction. Let's hope she just didn't know you were standing there and innocently thought that your son was another unsupervised kid who would likely be tempted to get in on the little boy action. 'Cause if not, I'd be pissed off, too.
Oh, I thought when I was first reading that she was a teacher. Just another parent. She had no right to fuss at your child for not listening to her. He did nothing wrong. I'd likely not have kept my mouth shut.
i think you did the right thing...
To be honest its those little things when well meaning people step over the mark that undermine both you and the respect you are trying to instill in your child for others. When all you want to do is tell them to leave your kid alone yet you know all you can really do to protect your child from being unjustly treated but at the same time remain calm and respectful of the opinions of others is to hold your child close and keep your mouth shut. No parent should put another in that position.
I would have hit her with Big Cubby's backpack... just kidding :)
Post a Comment